i read the first chapter and was hooked. she writes so genuinely and as i read her words, it felt as if i were sitting across from her, sipping coffee, listening to her story.
stories are my favorite thing. i've devoted my life to listening to people's stories and i hope i live my life in a way that speaks to the Author of them all. back to this memoir. it is brilliant in the most normal way possible. it was one of those books that i finished and was sad that it was over. so check it out. putting off my grad school reading for a little bit was totally worth it. and it's safe to say it would be worth it for you too.
maybe tara's words could convince you better than mine...
page 186-187, "I've been learning that these strange, unexpected things that happen might not always feel like blessings, but the truth is that He is always good. Even when I don't understand Him. I think there are probably times when God prefers to be shrouded in mystery, and times when He wants us to see how His goodness is knit so tightly with His sovereignty. I'm not trying to solve His mystery by unraveling all these pieces of my story--I just don't want to miss anything that He might want me to see, because usually, when I do see it, it makes me love and trust Him more. It's like when David was going through some hard times in the Psalms, and he felt like God wasn't doing much of anything favorable. So he said that he would recount God's wonderful deeds of the past and that helped him get through it. He knew God was with him. We don't have much choice but to play life as it's handed to us and to trust God for the outcome. So far, I've seen Him walk me through frustrating, lonely times into amazing places of peace and joy and hope--to the seemingly unattainable dream that I was never qualified to live. I've felt Him pulling me with strong arms out of the sins that I adored, just because He loves me. It's the only way I ever learned how to start answering that question of whether or not I would love Him back. It reminds me of the line in the Caedmon's Call song, "Lead of Love" that says, " I had to walk the rocks to see the mountain view". All of my experiences recounted here have snowballed, building on top of each other, to make up the story of my life. And when I look at the story--from my unmet dreams of Harvard to Antonio's declaration of singleness to my desperate attempts to leave music--I can see His goodness in every scenario. As for the future, will I live in Manhattan? Will I marry or live alone? I don't know. But I can't wait to see what he will write for me next. Here's to hindsight".
I agree, Tara, here's to hindsight.
p.s. hindsight might be even better than 20/20 now that i'm rockin' some new bi-focals. welcome to getting older, savannah.













No comments:
Post a Comment